24.7 Clinical Support
Your hospice nurse responds to a late-night call from Mr. Albertson’s wife. He is experiencing another episode of shortness of breath due to his diagnosis of terminal COPD. Albuterol, the medication he generally gets for this symptom, isn’t working this time. Mrs. Albertson wants to call an ambulance to take her husband to the hospital.
Knowing that Hospice Pharmacy Solutions clinical pharmacists are available around the clock, your nurse calls HPS for guidance.
The HPS pharmacist recommends the morphine solution, found in the comfort kit, and to switch the albuterol to nebulized albuterol instead. This treatment relieves Mr. Albertson’s distress and prevents an unwanted hospitalization.
Hospice care is a 24/7/365 service, and so is HPS. Many of our clinical pharmacists are experts, having earned doctorates in pharmacy and certification in geriatric pharmacy. They have a deep understanding of palliative care medication management and available around the clock for consultations on:
- Opioid dose conversion
- Palliative symptom management
- Discontinuation of medications at the end of life
- Medication side effects
- Cost-effective substitutions
- Complex cases
HPS clinical pharmacists set an industry standard for customer care. Our clients receive:
- Patient-specific medication reviews
- Necessary documentation to fulfill requirements for CMS’ Conditions of Participation
- Detailed Drug Utilization Reviews that point out medications not covered by Medicare’s Hospice Benefit, therapeutic duplications, drug interactions and cost-effective alternatives